Thursday, July 13, 2023

Thursday, July 13th - Taaw Hill & North Beach

I was originally going to pick up our rental at 8am, but it wasn't going to be ready until 10am, so I made breakfast fir 9am while Marieka did her stretches and back exercises.

I left around 9:30am to walk over to pick up the rental a couple of km away. Looking at the 2011 Ford Expedition, I knew it would easily hold all of our belongings and then some. With some caution (this is a LARGE SUV) I pulled out and was quickly back to pick up Marieka to go to Taaw Hill.

The lady at the rental company called it "The Beast"

We stopped first at the Chown Gallery, where Marieka tried on silver bracelets and asked a lot of question of the Raven House Haida lady who worked there, Taya. Marieka asked her about what she thoguht of white people who wore jewelry and other cultural items with house crests on them. This had been something we had both talked about a bit. Marieka really liked a killer whale bracelet and hadn't wanted to take it off, but wanted to think on it before making a purchase. Taya advised getting a coffee a the Beach Stop down the way, thinking about it, and coming back if Marieka still really wanted it/felt connected to it and what it represented (a calm presence; a being who helps spirits pass to the next world).

Capuccino was bought and drunk by Marieka, who chatted with the lady at the Beach Stop. Then, it was on to Taaw Hill. The road narrowed and, in placed, trees grew right at the edge (or even in from the edge), so I drove these sections with caution.

Arriving at Taaw Hill, I read the graphic legend while Marieka used the outhouse. First we followed the wheelchair-accessible trail to the blowhole (not blowing, as the tide was not high enough) and wandered the volcanic rocks while looking up at Taaw Hill, and down at the sea life in the tidal pools in the rocks.

Taaw Hill sign with graphic legend

Marieka on the volcanic rocks by the blowhole

Taaw Hill in the background

Tidal pool


I was taken by this window in the rock

Then we followed the connector trail up to the lookout from the top of Taaw Hill, eating lunch up there and feeling lucky to see a whale travelling East in the waters just North of the Island, also looking further North to see the mountains of Alaska and container ships in the sea between.

View of North Beach from mid-way up Taaw Hill

Agate Beach from the lookout



Minke whale in the water

Walking back down from the viewing platform, I asked Marieka if she considered the whale sighting a coincidence or a sign. She noted it was a lucky occurrence that could be seen as a sign. We talked a bit about the bracelet and how the characteristics of Frog - of listening deeply to and then sharing on stories - was a good fit for her and others in Anthropology.

We walked across the bridge, past the Hiellen Pole, before walking onto North Beach where Marieka went for a swim (crazy lady) while I waded a bit in the cold water and watching the people netting crab.

Hiellen Village Pole

Does that look like fun?

Much warmer out of the water

After this, it was off to Agate Beach, where we walked the length of the beach then back through the campground, trying to figure out which tent platform I'd camped on last time, and noting the good design of the platforms with windbreaks.

Agate Beach and Taaw Hill

On our way back to Masset we stopped off at the Chown Gallery, where, after it being polished, Marieka did buy the killer whale bracelet.

After a dinner at the 626 (Ceviche and a halibut burger with fries for me; Ceviche and 2 pieces of fried halibut for Marieka) I loaded the trailer and bikes into the Expedition, we both stretched, packed & bathed, and got ready for bed.

Tomorrow will be a big travel day, as our next stay is 83km away. The plan is to leave around 10am after picking up a couple of things at the Co-op (peanut butter, mostly), making a couple of others stops on the way, and getting to the next stay for 12pm to check in, drop Marieka & gear, then I'll drive back to Masset to begin the ride back down.


No comments:

Post a Comment