Sunday, July 24, 2011

Deh Cho Trip Day 9 - Yellowknife Nature and Folk on the Rocks Day 2

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - My last day in Yellowknife

I started the day with a hike along the Prospector's Trail in Fred Henne Park, again being struck by the similarities with Northern Ontario hiking I've done in the Canadian Shield area. The interpretive booklet helped me understand the features around me more, but also got me missing my geologist friends from previous hiking trips, as they would know exactly what it was talking about, while I didn't get all of it on my own.
Start of the Prospector's Trail


Rock on the trail

Interesting twisted dead tree on the trail

Lake on the Canadian Shield

Before heading back to camp, I checked the forecast, which, for Monday, included chances of showers and thunder storms - it looks like I'll be leaving Yellowknife in similar weather as I entered it in. I'd already planned to do some gear prep and pre-planning, but this added a bit more importance to this, so I spent a bit more time doing this before heading back to Folk.

Folk was another good day of seeing great music, unique collaborations, and decent weather. It started spitting early in the afternoon, but this was brief (and I'd brought a rain jacket anyway) and it continued to be overcast over much of the rest of the day, with the sun only poking out a couple of times. In fact, for about an hour, during Ken Whitely's set, it appeared it was going to clear completely, with the sun coming out and the temperature warming, but the clouds came back and the rain spat again a couple more times, turning steadier after the closing Dene drum circle.

Dorjee Tsering playing Tibetan flute

Jam session between Cadence Weapon, Owen Pallett, and Kulavak

Maria in the Shower and Ken Whitely join Fred Penner

Ken Whitely

Closing of Folk on the Rocks with a Dene drum/dance circle



If you ever have a chance, participate in a Dene drum circle.

The day came to a close with me falling asleep to the sound of rain on my tent, after gratefully accepting a ride back to camp from April.

No comments:

Post a Comment